December 11, 2018
Microsoft Excel is prone to an information-disclosure vulnerability. Attackers can exploit this issue to obtain sensitive information that may aid in further attacks.
- Microsoft Excel 2010 Service Pack 2 (32-bit editions)
- Microsoft Excel 2010 Service Pack 2 (64-bit editions)
- Microsoft Excel 2013 RT Service Pack 1
- Microsoft Excel 2013 Service Pack 1 (32-bit editions)
- Microsoft Excel 2013 Service Pack 1 (64-bit editions)
- Microsoft Excel 2016 (32-bit editions)
- Microsoft Excel 2016 (64-bit editions)
- Microsoft Office 2019 for 32-bit editions
- Microsoft Office 2019 for 64-bit editions
- Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus for 32-bit Systems
- Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus for 64-bit Systems
Run all software as a nonprivileged user with minimal access rights.
When possible, run all software as a user with minimal privileges and limited access to system resources. Use additional precautions such as restrictive environments to insulate software that may potentially handle malicious content.
Deploy network intrusion detection systems to monitor network traffic for malicious activity.
Deploy NIDS to monitor network traffic for signs of anomalous or suspicious activity. This may indicate exploit attempts or activity that results from successful exploits.
Updates are available. Please see the references or vendor advisory for more information.
Omair working with Trend Micro’s Zero Day Initiative
© 1995- Symantec Corporation
Permission to redistribute this alert electronically is granted as long as it is not edited in any way unless authorized by Symantec Security Response. Reprinting the whole or part of this alert in any medium other than electronically requires permission from email@example.com.
The information in the advisory is believed to be accurate at the time of publishing based on currently available information. Use of the information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are no warranties with regard to this information. Neither the author nor the publisher accepts any liability for any direct, indirect, or consequential loss or damage arising from use of, or reliance on, this information.
Symantec, Symantec products, Symantec Security Response, and firstname.lastname@example.org are registered trademarks of Symantec Corp. and/or affiliated companies in the United States and other countries. All other registered and unregistered trademarks represented in this document are the sole property of their respective companies/owners.